Thursday, November 10, 2011

Favorite Game

So my favorite game would definitely have to be a computer classic: Minesweeper. No matter where I am, or what computer I'm on, I can always count on minesweeper to be there and ready to spare me from the boredom of class or homework. For some reason a lot of people find minesweeper difficult, but I'm kind of totally awesome at it. My intermediate score is an average of 72 seconds, but I've hit as low as 49. Which is nerd-ness of epic proportions. Minesweeper is pretty simple. You have a grid of little squares, and hidden within each square is either a number or a mine. Your job is to correctly decide which squares contain mines, and which contain safe numbers. You do this (generally) by left clicking boxes you think have numbers, and right clicking the ones you think have mines. The fun part of the game (and the part that makes me a nerd) is the fact that to figure out which squares are mines requires some actual thinking, and sometimes even some small algorithms. Each number represents how many bombs are touching. A '3' is touching three bombs, a '5' touching five, and so on. So you gradually cover the grid with numbers and mines until you've filled up the grid with all correct identifications. Sometimes it gets down to a point where there are several possible bomb configurations, and that's when it gets tricky. you have to run each scenario in your head until you find how it doesn't work until you're left with one plausible option. You're racing against the clock, and I love trying to beat my fastest times.

No comments:

Post a Comment